Not many people know this, but over the weekend the CrossFit Games held the first week of Regionals competition. Here are the results of the California, South, and Pacific regions along with who is going to the Games and who missed the cut…
With three “super” regions, and so many hours of competition over the past few days we admit that we only watched the top heat from each individual event, so there are no doubt other highlights, but here are a few of the moments we were most stoked on…
Highlights & Top Moments:
– Watching Josh Bridges. Period. Specifically though when he PR’d his snatch…twice (at 265lbs in event 1) and celebrated like a boss. It was really fun to watch Josh come back and win the California region this year after missing the Games last year and after the Open fiasco he went through a few months ago.
– Seeing Becca Voigt make it back to the Games for the ninth fucking time! And not just by a little bit…by placing second overall in a region as tough as California. You go, girl!
– Chelsey Grigsby hugging Jamie Hagiya as soon as she finished the final event… Chelsey was obviously tired as shit, but knew that her friend Jamie had just smashed the WOD and had probably secured her spot in Carson, and Chelsey’s genuine excitement and happiness for her fellow competitor was just incredible.
– Seeing Kristan Clever go apeshit on the power cleans during event #3. We haven’t seen that kind of fire in her eyes in a long time.
– Kahn Porter’s epic come-from-behind win in event seven to secure his spot back at the Games. Kahn was sitting in sixth place going into the last event, and his win bumped him up to third place to end the weekend.
Let Downs, Bummers, and Disappointments:
– Watching Elijah EZ Muhammad miss his last rep on the last workout—a legless rope climb that he can do in his sleep. This mistake could have very well kept him out of the top five this year, and we would have loved to see him back at the Games.
– Seeing Dan Bailey let his sixth trip to Carson slip away from him throughout the weekend. Realizing that such a CrossFit Games mainstay won’t be there this year in Carson was a little sad. We hope he comes back in 2017 with a fire in his eyes like Josh Bridges did this year.
– Having to come to grips with the fact that Brooke Ence missed her chance to go back to the Games. We can’t help but wonder how spending so much time in Europe leading up to the games affected her training and mindset…
Notable names that didn’t make it to the CrossFit Games…
– Brooke Ence
– Dan Bailey
– Kenny Leverich
– Chelsey Grigsby
– Molly Vollmer
– Elijah Muhammad
– Jordan Cook
– Kyle Frankenfeld
Full results can be found at games.crossfit.com/leaderboard.
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 1 Results – California Region – Individual Men
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 1 Results – California Region – Individual Women
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 1 Results – California Region – Team
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 1 Results – South Region – Individual Men
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 1 Results – South Region – Individual Women
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 1 Results – South Region – Team
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 1 Results – Pacific Region – Individual Men
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 1 Results – Pacific Region – Individual Women
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 1 Results – Pacific Region – Team
Latest posts by Fat Tony (see all)
- Brooke Ence’s Vlog – Look At Those Birks! - July 15, 2016
- 2016 Grid Season Sizzle Reel - July 14, 2016
- RX Smart Gear Releases Signature Jump Ropes for Julie Foucher, Chyna Cho, and Stacie Tovar - July 14, 2016