There you have it folks, the 2016 CrossFit Regionals are done! We now have the final list of athletes that will compete in Carson at the CrossFit Games. Here’s how things shook out at the Meridian, East, and Central Regionals this weekend!
As usual, we only watched the final heats of each of the individual events, so our observations are based off that. There is just too much going on and not enough time in the weekend to watch everything!
Highlights & Top Moments:
– Katrin Davidsdottir‘s abs. On. POINT! Oh, and she absolutely crushed it all weekend. She demonstrated how much her mental game has grown when she kept her cool during event 7 where she failed a few reps of the legless rope climb. That’s the same movement that broke her down mentally and kept her from going to the Games in 2014, so it was inspiring to see her overcome this exact scenario.
– Brooke Wells is terrible at strict muscle ups! She didn’t even make it through the fourth round of four strict muscle ups and came in 32nd in event number two. Luckily she’s incredible at everything else and was able to work her way back to the top of the leaderboard and earn another trip to Carson.
– Andrea Barbotti out of the Meridian Region was on track to become the first Italian individual to qualify for a spot at the Games, but unfortunately after a first and second place win in events five and three he tweaked something in event 6, didn’t finish the event, and had to withdraw from the competition and sit out event 7. This series of events left him in 37th place overall for the weekend. Tough break for him…
– In the Meridian Region, Fredrick Aegidius and Lukas were battling back and forth on the final event for a spot at the Games. Even in such a low-rep and fast event both got no reps as they went back and forth ahead of each other. In the end, Fredrick’s final no rep cost him, and you could see the disappointment on his face as he crossed the finish line.
– Thuridur Erla Helgadottir become the first woman to finish Regional Nate. Badass!
– Sam Briggs got two event records back to back in events 3 and 4. The Engine is back!
– Sam Briggs’ event record in event 3 didn’t last long though… In the next heat Annie Thorisdottir beat Sam’s time as she went unbroken on the set of 52 pull ups.
– In the Meridian Region there was an epic foot race between three women who have all stood on the podium at the CrossFit Games… Annie Thorisdottir, Sara Sigmundsdottir, and Sam Briggs all sprinted it out for the event win, but in the end Briggs crossed the line first. All three women passed up Thuridur Erla Helgadottir who was leading the heat up until her last rep of legless rope climbs where she got a costly no rep.
– Spencer Hendel needed a win in event 7 in order to have a chance at going to the CrossFit Games, and apparently he wanted it bad enough to make it happen. His first place finish on that event brought him up to fourth place overall and qualified him for the Games. He was getting to the top of the legless rope climbs in just three or four pulls!
– Mat Fraser’s performance throughout the entire weekend was nothing short of mind-blowing. He won the first four events along with the sixth event, and got a second place finish on event 7. His worst placing in any event was sixth in event 5. He’s on a mission! Watch out Carson!
Notable names that didn’t make it to the CrossFit Games…
– Frederik Aegidius
– Dani Horan
– Maude Charron
– Austin Malleolo
– Paul Tremblay
– Will Moorad
– Graham Holmberg
– Nicole Holcomb
– Julie Foucher (She still placed 13th after only training for an hour a day this year and “not taking competition seriously”… Impressive!)
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 2 Results – Meridian Region – Individual Men
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 2 Results – Meridian Region – Individual Women
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 2 Results – Meridian Region – Team
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 2 Results – East Region – Individual Men
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 2 Results – East Region – Individual Women
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 2 Results – East Region – Team
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 2 Results – Central Region – Individual Men
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 2 Results – Central Region – Individual Women
2016 CrossFit Regionals Week 2 Results – Central Region – Team
2016 CrossFit Regionals Final Recap & Update Show
Full playlists of all the videos coming soon…
Comments will be approved before showing up.