My name is Erika Theisen, I am a super busy person (aren’t we all?), so I began meal prepping to help me maintain a healthy lifestyle. If I have nothing prepared, am hungry and not at home, I am almost guaranteed not to choose the healthiest option to eat. Meal prep eliminates the possibility for me to choose an unhealthy meal or snack and eliminates the amount of times I go out to eat. I am able to maintain this lifestyle because I make sure the meals taste good and there is a wide variety to choose from. My goal is to cook meals that don’t taste like I am on a diet or restricting myself and prepare food that someone who does not follow paleo would enjoy. Additionally, I don’t like making the same meal too often and I stick to simple recipes with fewer ingredients and ingredients that I know.
By sharing these recipes I hope people will enjoy the meals and realize eating this way is not hard, it is yummy, it does not need to be or feel restrictive… anyone can do it.
I was out of town this past weekend, which means meal prep this week consisted of an easy recipe. I found this extremely easy and delicious looking slow cooker meal to try out and it turned out SO amazing. If you enjoy making cauliflower rice like I do, you will love trying out this sweet potato rice. I have a feeling I will be using this hack a lot more in the future. Anyways, I doubled the sweet potato rice portion of this recipe to get some more carbs in my life and used about 2 lbs of chicken breasts. Also, topping this meal with some extra salsa and guacamole (or avocado) is what definitely made this meal complete, so don’t skip out on that part. This meal was way too easy to throw together and turned out being the bomb. There is no reason you should not try this one out!
- 3 chicken thighs or breasts (boneless & skinless)
- 1 jar salsa (check labels!)
- 2 peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped kale
1. Place 3 chicken breasts or thighs in a slow cooker with 1 cup of salsa.
2. Cook for 3-4 hours on low. (My crockpot cooks things quickly so yours may require more or less time! Take a peak at 3 but if you are doubling or tripling it could be up to 5 hours)
3. Once chicken is cooked, shred it in the slow cooker and mix with all of the juices then let sit on keep warm for at least 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Sweet Potato Rice:
1. Shred your sweet potatoes either in a food processor with the shredder attachment or on a regular grater.
2. In a large saute pan add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or ghee over medium high heat. Add sweet potato rice and cook covered for about 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Reduce heat to medium low and add cilantro & kale then cover for 1 minute so the kale can wilt slightly.
4. Add in 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and some pepper. Then add lime juice and season to your liking.
5. To make your bowl add sweet potato rice and top with salsa chicken. Garnish with more salsa and guacamole!